DPA ©
Serena Williams on Thursday made an unexpected
withdrawal from the WTA clay event in southern Sweden, prior to
facing a Czech number 105 who has beaten her on the surface.
Even tournament organisers had admitted this week they were somewhat
surprised that the world number one honoured her commitment by
fronting up to the event in the Swedish woodlands to play.
Williams won an opening second-round match over Belgian qualifier
Ysaline Bonaventure 6-2, 6-1.
But the dream ended as the 33-year-old withdrew citing an old elbow
injury just a few days after winning her sixth Wimbledon title at the
weekend.
Klara Koukalova had defeated Williams on clay in 2009 in Spain but
trailed 4-1 in their career series.
"Thank you for being so understanding. I always feel so much support
here and hope I can come back," the 2013 champion told Swedish TV.
"I'm devastated," she added. "When I was warming up in the morning I
hurt my elbow as I had major problems with it previously. The doctors
said it was best that I did not make it worse. I had the same problem
at Roland Garros and Wimbledon."
Williams is due to play next month in California, Canada and Ohio
before the August 31 start of the US Open.




0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire