DPA ©
| |||||
|
Troubled Stan Wawrinka shoved aside his complicated romantic crisis to book a 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 ticket into the third round of the Cincinnati Masters on Wednesday as he defeated Croatian teenager Borna Coric. Switzerland's reigning Roland Garros champion finds his personal life now available for public consumption after last week's crude insult on court from Nick Kyrgios which opened up a can of worms regarding the life and loves of the 30-year-old. Wawrinka, currently embroiled in a divorce with his wife of more than a decade, has reportedly been seeing 19-year-old Croatian Donna Vekic, whom Australian Kyrgios slandered with an insult to Wawrinka during their match last week in Montreal. Though the newest bad boy of the sport was fined 12,500 dollars by the ATP, Wawrinka said that the issues will continue to burden him for the foreseeable future. "I'm trying to put all the story behind, but it's not that simple," said Wawrinka after a comeback against Coric which puts him into a match with Ivo Karlovic. "For you it's another story," he told reporters. "Next week you will all other story that you will do it, and for me, I have to deal with that quite big. "I'm dealing with all the shit and I'm trying to put away as much as I can," he said of the ugly controversy. The teenaged 128th-ranked Vekic, currently at a minor event in Vancouver, responded to the pointed gossip from Kyrgios that she had been with Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis as well as Wawrinka. "It's not easy but I'm trying to focus on tennis and my next match," Vekic told The Province newspaper. "I haven't spoken to Kyrgios. But it's a very disappointing thing to be happening in our sport and I hope it won't happen again because it's not a very good image for our sport." Wawrinka admitted that the controversy and its ramifications on his life are draining his tennis energy with the US Open starting a week from Monday. "We still talk a lot about it, for sure it's quite fresh," said the father of one. "It was good to play some doubles, to have fun on the tennis court. "It was really important to win this match today. It was not the way I played on the court but the way I fight with little energy that I have. That's the most important." The two-time grand slam winner ranked fifth by the ATP said that despite the pressure, he will still be prepared for the Open when it begins on August 31. "I know how myself, I know how I get ready for a grand slam. I know how I deal with everything. I'm sure I'm going to be ready for US Open." In women's play, Toronto finalist Simona Halep, the third seed, beat Kristina Mladenovic 7-5, 5-7, 6-4 while Toronto champion Belinda Bencic crushed Italy's Flavia Pennetta 6-1, 6-4. Eighth seed Karolina Pliskova stopped Hungarian Timea Babos 6-4, 7-5. Jelena Jankovic left American Madison Keys in tears with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 second-round win. | |||||




0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire