Fourni par Blogger.

mardi 6 octobre 2015

Swiss court rejects request to release football official Esquivel


DPA ©





President of the Venezuelan Football Federation Rafael Esquivel
 Venezuela's former football chief
Rafael Esquivel poses a flight risk and must therefore remain in
detention in Switzerland, the country's Federal Criminal Court said
Monday, rejecting his request for release.
The former president of the Venezuelan Football Federation and
executive committee member of South America's football body CONMEBOL
was one of seven officials who were arrested in May on US warrants
when they were in Zurich to attend the congress of the global
football body FIFA.
The court argued that he would be capable of travelling abroad.
Measures such as posting bail or electronic monitoring would not
reduce the risk that he would abscond, it added.
"The arguments that were presented relating to his old age, state of
health etc. do not indicate that there is no flight risk," the court
said.
Swiss authorities agreed to his extradition last month, but his
transfer is still pending appeal.
US prosecutors accuse Esquivel of having taken millions of dollars of
bribes for awarding marketing rights in several Copa America
tournaments.
One of the seven detainees, former FIFA vice-president Jeffrey Webb,
has already been handed over to US authorities.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire